Finding it hard to learn triangle pose? Nope, it’s not. I will guide you on how to master the triangle pose in an easy way. This pose has always been part of basic posture or yoga training.
Image Credits – Pexels.com
What is Triangle Pose?
From ancient times triangle pose has been part of a regular yoga routine. This is the standing yoga pose that stretches your back, and hamstring. This pose is also known as ‘Trikonasana’ in the Sanskrit language. Word Trikonasana is formed by the combination of the words ‘Trikon’ meaning ‘triangle’ and ‘asana’ meaning ‘posture’. When you are in this pose around three triangular shapes are formed by your body, hence it is called the triangle pose.
“Yoga is a fountain of youthness, you are as young as your spine is flexible” – Harper Bob
|Name of Pose||Trikonasana (Tri-ko-na-sa-na)|
|Preparatory Pose||none or Tree Pose|
A step-by-step guide to Triangle pose
- Stand on the yoga mat with your back straight and keep your legs apart from each other. Adjust the distance between your legs so that it is more than the span of your shoulders if you are comfortable.
- Inhale and raise your hands so that they are in line with your shoulders, and are parallel to the ground.
- Now turn your right foot 90 degrees so that your toes are pointing to the right side. Keep your left foot straight. ( watch the video guide below if confused)
- Exhale and now take a full deep breath.
- While exhaling slowly bend your body from the hip towards the right side, and try to touch the right ankle with the right hand. If you are not able to touch your ankle no problem, try to bend as much as you can.
- Raise your left hand towards the ceiling and watch towards the sky with your eyes open. Relax your mind for any thoughts.
- Focus on the flow of breath throughout the body. Hold this position for around 15 seconds or more.
- Inhaling slowly, Come to the upright position and make arms parallel to the ground.
- Bring back the right foot which was at a 90-degree position to normal.
- Now turn your left foot to a 90-degree position and repeat the same steps.
- Perform at least 10 sets to each side.
You should consult your physician before performing this pose if you are suffering from Sciatica or slip disc injury. Try to avoid doing this pose when you have undergone any of the herniae, back, spine, or leg surgery. A pregnant woman should also avoid doing this after 3 months of pregnancy period.
Benefits of Triangle pose
- It helps in relieving back pain from long office seating or traveling.
- It strengthens your back, thighs, and spine by making them flexible.
- Aids in the treatment of insomnia patients, by inducing sleep.
- Helps to reduce body fat around the waist, especially the love handles.
- Lets your brain shine like a sun by increasing the fresh flow of blood when you bend on your sides.
Now that you are aware of all precautions, benefits, timings, and step-by-step instructions to perform trikonasana, why not give it a try.! Try to use this pose as a warm-up exercise before your yoga session. Comment down your experiences and thoughts on this pose.
What is a triangle pose well for?
Triangle pose is considered to be one the best remedy to relieve back pain or spine-related issues. It helps in increasing the overall flexibility of body. It is good for patients suffering from diabetes, obesity, and insomnia.
What Muscles are stretched by Triangle pose?
The triangle pose stretches the thigh, shoulder, hips, and lower back muscles. Also, abdominal muscles get stretched thereby aiding in good digestion.